CHURCH FOUNDED: 1916
BUILT: July 17, 1934-1936 from local field stone.
CLOSED: June 19, 2005. Plaed on the National Register of Historic Places
DIRECTIONS: South of County Rd 15 on County Rd 22, then east on 60th Street (rural Fairdale)
SOURCE: Rural Churches Database: http://steph9993.tripod.com/id24.html
St. Catherine’s Lomice Church (“Walsh Heritage” Vol 2, pg 1082)
“St. Catherine’s Church at Lomice is northeast of Lawton in Sauter Township in Walsh County. On 17 July 1934, the foundation of the new mission was laid. The church was built with rock gathered by the congregation from their own farmland. It was laid by the parishioners under the supervision of the late Joseph Vitek, a member of the congregation who came here from Czechoslovakia and learned masonry here. It took three years to construct the church, but as a result the congregation has a “little extra” affection for their church.
Much credit for the architecture and motivation for construction goes to the Rev. V.F. Mikolasek, the congregation paster who drew the blue prints and pushed for the all-stone church. We would expect it was bringing a touch of the “Old Country” to the plains of North Dakota. The church was served later by Rev. F.X. Miller and a parish hall was built which, through its great usage indicated that this church is still the heart of the community. Rev. L. Svatinsky served after Rev. Miller and now the church is served by Rev. John Gravin of Lankin.”