Taken from “Walsh Heritage”, Vol 2, pg 918-919
LOCATION: Lat: 48° 28′ 17″N, Lon: 98° 13′ 46″W, Kinloss Township, Sec 26 SW, Fairdale, Walsh, ND
The history of Aadalen Congregation begins in the early 1980’s, when the first immigrants settled in the area. Henrik Ohnstad, one of these settlers, was instrumental in organizing a congregation, and in 1886 the Aadalen Congregation was established. However, as early as 1881-1883, Rev. J. Lonne from Grafton came to the area to baptize the children. Meetings were held in the homes. In 1884 or 1886, Rev. P. A. Nykreim came from Grafton. The first congregation was known as Adams Congregation, but because most of the settlers were from Aadalen in Norway the name was changed to Aadalen.
There were also some Swedish immigrants who formed a congregation of their own in 1894, when they secured Rev. Alfengren as pastor, and the church was named Gustavus Adolphus. In the same year Silvesta Church was organized. Due to some disagreements in policies of the church, still another congregation known as St. Olaf was organized in 1901, with Rev. E.B. Wollan as pastor.
Rev. Omland was elected as pastor of Aadalen in 1987, coming from Park River. Moses Flugekvam, Henrik Ohnstad and John Lund were successful in acquiring a square acre of land which became the first cemetery, located on G. Rundhaug’s land. The first baptism in Aadalen was Marie Flugekvam and Fred Rundhaug in 1887. The first confirmation was Elling Ohnstad and Thorvald Rundhaug in 1887. The first marriage was 1888 when John Mathiason and Mathea Thompson were married. The second marriage was that of Ole Nordlie and Sena Anderson.
A cemetery fence was erected in 1888 with a committee consisting of S. Myra, Anders Holth and Lars Westberg as directors. The Ladies’ Aid was organized in 1889. In 1894, Rev. Omland resigned and Rev. Martin Iverson came. Rev. Arevik became pastor in 1900 and served until 1905.
In 1889 efforts were made to unite Aadalen with Silvesta, but failed. January 12, 1902, a commission of seven men was appointed to arrange funds for the building of Aadalen Church. These men were Theodore Haug, Ole Arneson, Ole Braaten, Ole Stoa, Simon Myra, Helge Hogfoss and Thorvold Rundhaug. T. Haug donated two acres for the church site. January, 1905, Rev. Arevik submitted his resignation and Rev. Ludvig Pederson was called and served until 1911. Rev. Gustav Nordberg came and served until 1914. Rev. Laurhammer came in 1915. When Rev. Laurhammer resigned in 1925 he was succeeded by Rev. George Larson. He resigned in 1930.